Maps, such as tile maps or honeycomb maps, are used to display geographic composition for categorical data.
The demo below visualizes the composition of the Provinces of China:
Good to know
- A tilemap is a delightful and stylish designed chart.
- A tilemap offers a quick geographic overview of the dataset.
- A tilemap renders all the areas with the same size to allow equal visibility for all areas regarding the original areas’ sizes.
- A tilemap´s compact shape makes it an effective chart to leverage in dashboards and small screens.
- A tilemap can never fully represent a real geographic map as a result that the borders between areas could be altered or misplaced due to the nature of the tile (hexagone).
- A tilemap could be complex to understand if it doesn't respect the shape of the original geographic map.