Column charts are used to compare categories with discrete data.
The columns’ lengths provide an excellent visual indicator for comparison. According to the chart, Russia and USA exported more than $6 billion of wheat in 2019, followed by Canada ($5.4B) and France ($4.4B).
Good to know
- Column charts, like bar charts, are easy to create.
- Column charts are popular and commonplace meaning that almost everyone can understand them.
- Column charts work wonderfully with categorical data.
- Typically column charts are restricted to categorical data only (not versatile chart type).
- Column charts can appear overcrowded quickly with too many columns displayed. Feel free to switch to bar charts if necessary.