haus

Network Graph performance issues

I have been trying out the network graph module and have been running into performance issues. The graphs I want to display have the potential to have hundreds of nodes and thousands of connections between them. Graphs of this size seem to lock up the browser.

Here is a JSFiddle of my implementation. It increases in size every second to test performance, and I am running into severe performance issues around 100 nodes. As you can see, I have boost included, but it appears that the network graph module either does not support boost or does not correctly implement it.

I am not really concerned with interactivity of the graph. I would just like to have the graph displayed how it is in the fiddle, without any animations, tooltips, or events. Overall, I would just like to be able to update the graph with new networks without locking up the page. Is this possible?
rafalS

Re: Network Graph performance issues

Hi haus,

Welcome to our forum and thanks for contacting us.

As far as I know, the boost module doesn't work with networkgraph series.
Our developer responsible for this series is off today, I will provide you more info tomorrow.

Best regards!
Rafal Sebestjanski,
Highcharts Team Lead
babonaresh

Is there a way to boost the network graph, I have around 1500 nodes
babonaresh

is this issue resolved? can I know how?
mateuszkornecki

Hello, babonaresh.

Welcome to our forum, and thanks for contacting us with your question.

As you can read on our docs page, the boost module is currently working with line series, column, bar, treemap, heatmap, scatter, bubble, area.
If you want us to add this functionality in the future releases of the Highcharts, please post your idea here: https://highcharts.uservoice.com/
Docs References: https://www.highcharts.com/docs/advance ... ost-module

Feel free to ask any further questions.

Best regards.
Mateusz Kornecki
Highcharts Developer
Mille

Sorry for highjacking this thread, but it popped up searching for relevant information.

Is it about right that you start noticing performance issues around 100-200 nodes with Highcharts network graph? I understand it depends on the computer, but on average.

I even tried disabling simulation like seen below, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or can do something better to increase the performance?

Code: Select all

layoutAlgorithm: {
  enableSimulation: false,
  integration: 'verlet',
  linkLength: 200,
}
My goal is to display around 500-600 nodes.
mateusz.b

Hello Mille,

No worries about hijacking this thread - actually we encourage to ask questions in related topics because it makes easier to find informations for other users and keeps forum clean.

When it comes to your question, it is true that first performance issues can be seen when network graph reaches 200 nodes. Many users keep asking about boost module, but unfortunetely it is still not implemented for this type of series. I think that you might want to read this related github issue: https://github.com/highcharts/highcharts/issues/11428
You can find there plenty of usefull informations and options that could potentially enhance network graph performance, and also you can read that disabling simulations might not be the best idea in terms of performance improvement.

It is hard to tell for sure whether 500-600 nodes would cause severe performance issues. Feel free to create such demo with hardcoded data and we will take a look at it.

Best regards!
Mateusz Bernacik
Highcharts Developer

Return to “Highcharts Usage”