rory

how to stop editor renaming images

I have a folder of images with only allowed characters and all spaces replaced with underscore - ie: my_image_name.jpg
When I run the editor and upload images with gallery manager, it returns me html (and images) with all of the underscores removed. Is there a way to disable this?

Update: I just tried this again using other non-restricted ascii characters in place of the spaces and underscores. Same result - the Editor renames the files to remove everything but alpha characters - so I end up with images named ie: myimagename.jpg
Is there any way to overcome this, or what is the reasoning behind removing the underscore and other characters from filenames?

thanks
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Re: how to stop editor renaming images

Instead of listing all forbidden characters, I listed all allowed characters in a file name, which is safer. I forgot the underscore and the dash, but I have fixed this now so you can try again. Probably there are more characters that should be allowed too.
Torstein Hønsi
CTO, Founder
Highsoft
rory

Torstein,
Many thanks for that quick response. This will make an already awesome app even more useful.

I'll try this again in the morning - I'm using it to create a lot of galleries so this alone will save me a lot of time.

thanks
bwd

I hope it's okay to re-open this thread, I have 340 images which I tried to add using the editor, but they all have spaces in between the words in the image name, and the editor removed all the spaces, so none of the images were found on my server when I tried it.
Is it not allowed to use spaces in image names, when uploading to a server? All the images I've got work okay on my webpage, and work okay in Highslide if I manually add the spaces to the image names.
Windows 8.1 Pro. Firefox 32.0.3 with Firebug.
RoadRash

Hi,

Ideally you shouldnÔÇÖt use spaces in file names, and I guess thatÔÇÖs why Torstein have chosen to remove the spaces when using the Editor.

I canÔÇÖt see the need for manually adding spaces to the file names since Highslide provides you with HTML markup and images with new file names without spaces in the zip file available for download in the Editor after you have created your gallery.
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

Overview of my Highslide sample pages: RoadRash.no
bwd

Hi Hilde, it's because all the images I have already have spaces in their names, so when I upload them to my server, they still have spaces, and don't match the code that the editor produces. I didn't realise they weren't supposed to have spaces in image names.
Windows 8.1 Pro. Firefox 32.0.3 with Firebug.
RoadRash

You are aware that the Editor also produces thumbnails and large images for you, with file names matching the HTML markup?
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

Overview of my Highslide sample pages: RoadRash.no

Return to “Highslide Editor”