torstein.honsi
Site Admin

New ultra lightweight Alpha

A test page is set up for the next version here, and anyone interested is invited to test the new features. The most important new feature is the Configurator, which allows you to strip away the functionality you don't need, allowing a filesize of 8.5 kB for core features! Other news are a complete event model, unobtrusive syntax, resizing, better caption syntax, self rendered contents wrappers for iframes and ajax, and auto-detect iframe size. Bugs can be reported in this thread before the stable release, in the meanwhile I'll go working on the documentation.
stefanpausch

I love you! :oops: - Playing with the alpha right now and it works like a charm (haven't played much, yet).

Just wanted to mention that there should be a warning on the test pages, that not -all- examples work withthe default setting and you load the choosen js on the fly. I first started playing with the exampels and noticed that a few output errors. Thought it was a bug on the testpage, until i checked all checkboxes, updated and played with the examples again - am i confusing?
stefanpausch

Question: What exact does "Unobtrusive" version do?
stefanpausch

(Excuse my multiple replies. If it is unwanted i will edit posts on further posts)

Bug: hs.captionTemplateId = 'the-template'; is not working in the 3.3 alpha anymore. The template contents isn't displayed (if i swap the highslide.packed.js bak to 3.2.7 the template is show again)
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Just wanted to mention that there should be a warning on the test pages, that not -all- examples work withthe default setting
I agree! It will be done.
What exact does "Unobtrusive" version do?
Unobtrusive means (roughly) that you don't put any JavaScript code inline like onclick. If you look at the markup for the unobtrusive examples, you will see that the only thing Highslide needs to pick up the links is a rel attribute.
Bug: hs.captionTemplateId = 'the-template'; is not working in the 3.3 alpha anymore
I took away the hs.captionTemplateId in the 3.3, because I think templating could be done much more elegantly using events, and with respect to the ever-lasting demand of keeping filesize down. This is an example of templating in the new version:

Code: Select all

HsExpander.prototype.onAfterGetCaption = function(sender) {
  this.caption.innerHTML = this.caption.innerHTML.replace('{filesize}', this.content.src);
}

<div class="highslide-caption">
This image's filename is {filename}.
</div>
Furthermore the captionEval and captionText options were added.
stefanpausch

Thanks for the answers. I welcome the new event types, but the construct is maybe a bit too complex for "normal users"?
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

the construct is maybe a bit too complex for "normal users"?
The idea is that "normal users" don't need events, but with good examples the most common tasks could be explained. I don't think the event example is a lot more complex than the captionTemplateId syntax, but it is no doubt much more powerful.
alakhnor

HS was never made for "normal users" if a normal user is someone that just want a click-and-go solution. :P

Brilliant job with this version and all the new things! can't wait!
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Thank you for the compliments!

HS was never made for "normal users"
Well, it should be! Many of the users have no experience at all in JavaScript, or even HTML. They too should have a simple package to set up, and Highslide should just work out of the box.
alakhnor

I still consider HS more simple than jquery to set up if you do not have any dev history.

By the way, an option to be able to fire and close from the same link would be great. ;)
shavit

Hi,

Great work.

When dragging expanded images, the thumbnails are visible.
They were unvisible in previous version.
Is it supose to be that way or did I fail to add a feature :?:

Tnx.

Danny
EarlyOut

I've observed some inconsistent behavior of the control bar in 3.3. When arrowing from one slide to the next, sometimes the control bar completes only half its fade-in, leaving a ghostly partial image. It seems to occur at random.
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Thank you EarlyOut, I found the bug.
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Danny,

There is a new CSS rule, .highslide-active-anchor that applies to the <a> when the image is opened. From now on, you define via CSS what should happen to the thumbnail:

.highslide-active-anchor img {
	visibility: hidden;
}
shavit

Thank you.

Danny

Return to “News”