manigandan

Gantt chart not working properly with boost

Hi All,

We are using Gantt chart and now we are require to load more data which is nearly 1Million data points.
Gantt chart takes more time to render and the issue is that seems the chart is unusable and hung. Unable to do any action with chart.

So, we tried to use boost module to resolve this issue and we updated our series data from object to array of values since boost requires the data as array.

With boost, we able to load the data quickly but tooltip not showing the points properly when we hover on different points on same x-axis line. It shows the points properly if points in different x-axis line. It seems shows the first point value and not showing the adjacent point values.
After adding tooltip. followPointer, the tooltip moves based on mouse but showing the first value.
To get clear understanding, please see the example chart in jsfiddle: https://jsfiddle.net/PrasathP/9c61xjfy/9/

In above example data, tooltip moves based on hover when zooming but with our real data, the tooltip gets disappeared if we zooming even with option tooltip. followPointer. Please find the snap of gantt chart with our real data on zooming,
Gantt_with_real_data.PNG
Gantt_with_real_data.PNG (37.18 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
Note: we tested with very latest highcharts V9.3.2 and our actual version is V9.0.1.

This chart is very need for our production and we must to use more data (in millions). So, kindly provide a solution to resolve this.

Thanks & Regards,
Applied Materials.
Regards,
Manigandan
manigandan

Re: Gantt chart not working properly with boost

Hi All,

As I mentioned in my post, it is very important and needs to be done.

We are desperately waiting for your response. Please provide a solution or workaround to resolve this issue.

Again it is very very important for us.

Regards,
Applied Materials.
Regards,
Manigandan
magdalena

Hi,

It seems it may be a bug. We are checking it and I will get back to you with an answer as soon as possible.

Regards!
Magdalena Gut
Developer and Highcharts Support Engineer
rafalS

Hi Applied Materials team, sorry for the late reply.

I confirm this is a bug caused by the boost module that doesn't allow displaying boosted points that are placed out of the plot area (when you zoom in, high value of the columnrange point is out of the plotarea. I'm about to report this on our GitHub issues tracker, I'll edit this post soon with a GitHub ticket URL.

As a workaround, you can use this short plugin:

Code: Select all

(function(H) {
  H.wrap(H.Series.prototype, 'getValidPoints', function(proceed, points, insideOnly, allowNull) {
    insideOnly = false;
    return proceed.apply(this, Array.prototype.slice.call(arguments, 1));
  });
})(Highcharts)
Demo: https://jsfiddle.net/BlackLabel/jdeuvwf0/

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards!

edit: reported bug with details: https://github.com/highcharts/highcharts/issues/16881
Rafal Sebestjanski,
Highcharts Team Lead
manigandan

Hi,

Thanks for your response and workaround for the issue.

I have checked your Demo: https://jsfiddle.net/BlackLabel/jdeuvwf0/ but able to see the issue in it and it seems the issue is not resolved.

Please check whether you shared the wrong link or else provide the proper workaround.

Thanks & Regards,
Applied Materials.
Regards,
Manigandan
rafalS

Hmm, I checked and an issue described on GitHub is working fine with a workaround I provided. Maybe you are writing about a different issue. Could you then provide the exact steps to reproduce and describe your issue more precisely, please?

Regards!
Rafal Sebestjanski,
Highcharts Team Lead
rafalS

I checked your posts one more time and I think you're writing about 2 columnrange points within the same category (x).
The tooltip is working only for the first point found in that category. This is a limitation of our boost points kdtree building and searching.

Could you confirm that your issue is about 2 points with the same x?
Rafal Sebestjanski,
Highcharts Team Lead
manigandan

Yes that is the issue we are facing with 2 points on same line doesn't show tooltip, It is any ETA for the bug raised ? we are having release in sometime soon , it will be helpful if you can provide us ETA

Thank you !
Regards,
Manigandan
rafalS

Hi again!

I reported it on our GitHub issues tracker here: https://github.com/highcharts/highcharts/issues/16893
We are working on a solution, but it might be a more complex issue so we cannot guarantee a quick fix for this. I'll let you know tomorrow when we take a closer look at this bug.

Have a good week!
Rafal Sebestjanski,
Highcharts Team Lead
manigandan

Okay, We will wait for your update tomorrow.

Thanks,
Applied Materials.
Regards,
Manigandan
rafalS

Hi, thank you for your patience.

We created a PR with a fix (https://github.com/highcharts/highcharts/pull/16898), but it works only partially.
It allows finding all points that are in the same "x" category, but it's possible only with series.findNearestPointBy: 'xy' setting. The problem is that it searches for low and high columnrange values and it sometimes finds other closer points, but not the column we are currently hovering over:
https://jsfiddle.net/BlackLabel/hguap5t3/

To improve that behavior, you can spread the points in the same "x" category into separate series (without findNearestPointBy) like shown in this demo: https://jsfiddle.net/BlackLabel/5yr3u4Lj/
boost-columnrange-tooltip.gif
boost-columnrange-tooltip.gif (193.58 KiB) Viewed 3085 times

It should work for small columns like on the screenshot you provided, but it still looks for the closest point by "x" and it will not be working perfectly in all cases (especially for long columns).
Could you test it and let us know how it's working in your project and whether it fixes most of your tooltip problems?

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of a boost module and we don't have any fix or workaround at this moment.

Best regards!
Rafal Sebestjanski,
Highcharts Team Lead
manigandan

Hi,

Thanks for working on it.

But it is not working as expected and it have issues with this simple trivial data https://jsfiddle.net/BlackLabel/hguap5t3/.
As you mentioned, tooltip shows other points when moves hover vertically.

Could you please work on it as a high priority task and provide a solid solution to use boost module in Gantt chart without any issue. We are okay to compromise the look and feel of chart but data and performance are more important for us.

Thanks,
Applied Materials.
Regards,
Manigandan
rafalS

Hi,
Could you please work on it as a high priority task and provide a solid solution to use boost module in Gantt chart without any issue.
As I said in my previous post:
Unfortunately, this is a limitation of a boost module and we don't have any fix or workaround at this moment.
This is a limitation of a boost module and we don't think there is anything more we can do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But it is not working as expected and it have issues with this simple trivial data https://jsfiddle.net/BlackLabel/hguap5t3/.
As you mentioned, tooltip shows other points when moves hover vertically.
I described it here:
It allows finding all points that are in the same "x" category, but it's possible only with series.findNearestPointBy: 'xy' setting. The problem is that it searches for low and high columnrange values and it sometimes finds other closer points, but not the column we are currently hovering over:
I also said that it should work much better with many small points (like on the image you provided). Have you checked how it's working in your chart with big amount of data? Could you share that chart so I can test it?
It should work for small columns like on the screenshot you provided, but it still looks for the closest point by "x" and it will not be working perfectly in all cases (especially for long columns).
Could you test it and let us know how it's working in your project and whether it fixes most of your tooltip problems?

Looking forward to your answer!
Rafal Sebestjanski,
Highcharts Team Lead
manigandan

Hi,

I am very sorry for the delayed response. I couldn't respond you due to our internal discussion. i.e. we need a sold solution and that should not break any things. Actually we need to compromise few things on your suggested way. Because of that, we discussed internally and there is a discussion is going on about that to implement a own Gantt chart for us.

Meanwhile we tried to display the chart part by part with updating the data points based on time range. Here we are facing an issue.
If possible, could you please help us to provide a fix to resolve the issue which we are facing currently. While updating data points on same chart, zoom does not get rest and the data does not get reloaded again and also the reset zoom button is there if already zoomed in.

Already the same issue is reported very long back (on Feb 2012) by someone in your forum viewtopic.php?t=14992 (Programmatically reset the zoom?). It seems we need to use highcharts.src.js file and it obviously increasing the bundle size and it impacts the loading. So, is there any other way to reset the zoom with using minified highcharts.js file?

Expecting your answer as soon as possible.

Thanks & Regards,
P. Prasath.
Regards,
Manigandan
manigandan

Hi,

This is getting little urgent. Could you please help with responding asap.

Thanks & Regards,
P. Prasath.
Regards,
Manigandan

Return to “Highcharts Gantt”