Peter Burbach

Creating custom maps - Version of Inkscape

Hi Team!

I followed the instructions of: https://www.highcharts.com/docs/maps/create-custom-maps
and downloaded Inkscape. Unfortunately the latest version does look very different, and I
can't find this "snap to path" option.

That is assuming, that "snap to path" will allow me to define a region with use parts of a border
of another region. Like region a and b share some part of border, so b starts somewhere attached
to a and ends somewhere else attached to a.

Can you tell me, which Inkscape version this instruction is based on? I would rather download
the older version then :-)

Thanks
Regards
michal.f

Re: Creating custom maps - Version of Inkscape

Hello,

This article is deprecated. As you can see in the screenshot in the lower right corner, the date is 2014. Probably that version of Inkscape you won't be able to run on newer operating systems. Rather, the option should be in this program, but possibly under a different name or somewhere else. Unfortunately, help with this program goes beyond the scope of our support

However, I would recommend using the newer programs such as Illustrator or the free alternative Figma but that is my only opinion.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Best regards!
Michał Filipiec
Highcharts Developer
https://blacklabel.pl/highcharts/
prkos

Re: Creating custom maps - Version of Inkscape

Snapping toolbar was slightly "hidden" from view in one of the recent versions, but that has been corrected since, and now by default you can find the Snapping button in the top right corner of the window (magnet icon).

By default Nodes are set to snap, and if you expand to see "Advanced mode" you will see that under Nodes snapping Path is enabled, meaning that nodes are set to snap to paths, which is what you want when creating a custom map.

So basically all you need to do is install Inkscape and enable Snapping in the top right corner.

If something isn't how you expected you can make the Snapping toolbar always visible by going to Preferences (Ctrl + Shift + P) > Interface > Toolbars and change the option "Snap controls bar" to "Permanent".

In the "Advanced mode" you can additionally turn on snapping nodes to path intersections, perpendicular lines, tangential lines, and snapping to cusp nodes, smooth nodes, and line mid-points is enabled by default.

I've used Illustrator a long time ago, but I can't image a better SVG editor than Inkscape. It's in active development and has a great community if you have questions on how to use it. I also find Inkscape much easier to learn than other vector programs, concepts are more intuitive, even if interface isn't as polished as in pay-for apps.
It's turtles all the way down!

Return to “Highcharts Maps”