sarnaudova

What is the max number of points in the treemap

Hello,

Is there a limit to the number of points that can be visualized by the treemap chart ? Are there a specific parameters that can help in working with large datasets?
I notice that If I have more than 20K points the treemap cannot be displayed in the browser (using highchart.js version). The page will crash when I increase the parameters as below:

animationLimit: Infinity,
turboThreshold: 20K

I tried adding pagination, but then I am facing issues with having the same scale factor between the pages and some values in one page will be visualize with bigger square (using squarified algorithm ) and much smaller on the next page as the algorithm will resize based on the data for these particular page.
SInce I am new to highcharts can you please help me with some ideas how to visualize large datasets ?

Thanks a lot !
Svetla
kamil.m

Re: What is the max number of points in the treemap

Welcome to our forum and thank you for contacting us with your question.

Technically, there is no limit in terms of the points amount.
Performance depends on the client-side machine, so if you have less computing power on the machine you are using to display the chart then you will have worse performance than on a more powerful device, and be able to render less points. In general, when the density of data is higher than the pixel resolution of the chart then it is pointless to show all the points because they will overlap and will not be visible anyway - they will only consume processing power and slow rendering down.

Suggested performance tips could be found in our general documentation here: https://www.highcharts.com/docs/getting ... highcharts
And here: https://www.highcharts.com/tutorials/hi ... st-module/

Feel free to ask any questions in the future,
Best regards!
Kamil Musiałowski
Highcharts Developer
sarnaudova

Hi Kamil,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I found a lot of helpful information in the links you've shared.
After struggling for a while with the performance of the tree map chart, I figure that the real issue was caused by the raw data that I am using.My data have real numbers with very high precision points like 56.2342342342342
I notice that the more digits after the decimal point the more performance degrade of the tree map. For real numbers with 10 digits after the decimal point it was hard to have dataset of 2000 elements without crashing the browser tab. After reducing the my raw data real number precision to 2 after the decimal point, the chart can accommodate really large datasets.

Thanks,
Svetla
kamil.m

Hello Svetla,

That's great to hear that you have found some valuable information in the provided links!

You are absolutely right about the data. High precision numbers take much more computing power than lets say a number with two decimal places.

In case of any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us,
Have a good day!
Kamil Musiałowski
Highcharts Developer

Return to “Highcharts Maps”