smarteau

Using mapbubble to plot series on a sky map

Hello,

I am not entirely new to Highcharts but never got to use Highmaps before. I am trying to produce a plot that represents a map of the sky, with some data shown as a colored scatter plot, like this:

Because the data points have coordinates and I need this kind of projection, and also to be able to zoom in, possibly drill down, show ancillary info in the tooltip etc., and because we already use Highcharts for other parts of our project, the thought of using Highcharts Maps for this purpose came naturally. I started from an existing JSFiddle to try and get the hang of it, managed to create a graticule and some graduations, and created a few sample points to try and display my data on this "map" (although there is actually no map showing under the data, since this is actually representing the sky). I have been struggling with the basics and more specifically the color axis, in that I have not managed to display my bubbles in different colors depending on the z value. See for yourself:

https://jsfiddle.net/smarteau/k39dg6hn/86/

I must be missing something fundamental and would very much appreciate the thoughts of someone with more substantial experience than mine. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Stéphane
hubert.k

Re: Using mapbubble to plot series on a sky map

Hello smarteau!
Welcome to our forum and thanks for contacting us with your question!

Your approach is good to build a map like that. Please, try to move topology to mapline and mappoint series and not add it to mapbubble series. You can check it in the demo below.

Demo: https://jsfiddle.net/BlackLabel/e59xt0rp/

Feel free to ask any further questions.
Kind regards!
Hubert Kozik
Highcharts Developer
smarteau

Excellent! Many thanks hubert.k for the help, this perfectly answers my question!
hubert.k

You're welcome! In case of any further questions, feel free to contact us again.
Hubert Kozik
Highcharts Developer

Return to “Highcharts Maps”