Destiny

Powered by....

Hi.. Does the Powered by... link at the top, appear even if the person has paid to use it..

Thank you

Destiny...
MisterNeutron

Re: Powered by....

Highslide JS is now completely free - it's "abandonware." You couldn't purchase a license if you wanted to. You can turn off the "Powered by" link if you like, even on a commercial site.

http://highslide.com/ref/hs.showCredits
Destiny

Oh... Seems to be a lot for nothing.. Even great support.. I am sure we paid a fee a long time ago. So, how do they make any money out of it... Even supporting this forum etc..

I do not mind showing software links for our projects but we would rather keep it off for this one since the Highslide website is actually blocked by Education Queensland.. Most sites are, to protect kids..

Thank you for the link.. I will check it out..

Destiny...
MisterNeutron wrote:Highslide JS is now completely free - it's "abandonware." You couldn't purchase a license if you wanted to. You can turn off the "Powered by" link if you like, even on a commercial site.

http://highslide.com/ref/hs.showCredits
Destiny

Yay.. That worked, and quick to do... Much cleaner.. Thank you...

Destiny..
MisterNeutron

Destiny wrote:Oh... Seems to be a lot for nothing.. Even great support.. I am sure we paid a fee a long time ago. So, how do they make any money out of it... Even supporting this forum etc..
They don't make any money out of it. And they don't support this forum, beyond allowing it to run on their servers. It would appear that I'm the only person in the world providing any Highslide JS support, and I'm just a hobbyist-coder in the U.S., with no connection to Highslide. There is no other support that I'm aware of. Even Hilde (RoadRash) has moved on to other things.

When Torstein's only offering was Highslide JS, he was barely making enough to keep the wolf from the door. Then he came up with Highcharts, and hit a home run. Lots of commercial applications, and lots of companies who were willing to shell out major money for licenses.

At that point, there was clearly no point in continuing to put any resources into Highslide JS. If you're a software developer, you have to follow the money. So, Torstein abandoned Highslide JS.
Destiny

That is a real shame... I feel that Highslide is a missed unknown software by many. Since it JS based, it works on anything.. I chatted on the forum a long time ago, where RoadRash was just awesome.. I really could not do it without her.. I love her knitting stuff on her website.. She is truly a very talented lady..

The world is changing so much.. I chat to the CEO of Zoomify often. He is a bit like Torstein.. He makes money doing other things, so his Zoomify software is not being developed as quickly as it used to be..

I managed to change my password. Bad news if it's stuffed now I know there is no support..

I never really looked into Highcharts.. I do not have any use for it and cannot afford to pay for it anyway.. I guess if people are doing stuff with data a chart software would be very beneficial..

Destiny...
MisterNeutron

Destiny wrote:That is a real shame... I feel that Highslide is a missed unknown software by many. Since it JS based, it works on anything.
Torstein knew that it needed a complete rewrite, however, and there just wasn't any money in it.

In many ways, it's a relic - HTML tables used for layout, no responsiveness for non-image content (like an iframed video), no support for swipe gestures, controls that don't scale easily but are too small for mobile devices, etc., etc.

And I always have the feeling that it's just one browser update away from breaking forever.

I do miss RoadRash. Under my current username, I've been on here only a few years, but under my prior username (EarlyOut), I go back over a decade. RoadRash and I thrashed through a lot of problems and produced some good solutions.
Destiny

RoadRash managed to get my interactive window with any media to open inside a Virtual Tour... But then the software mob, Kolor, added a better feature without all the issues and editing of the coding..

Good in many ways but I still keep all the files she helped me with just so I can keep my hand in when I have time.. But I am no coder. My brain was not built that way..

I am sure between the two of you, you helped many get out of trouble and solver their issues.. For that, I will always be grateful.. It allowed me to create a project. Sad to say none of which work now since that older software was Flash based in part so a new version was created..

D..

Return to “Highslide JS Usage”